Thursday 13 May 2010

daddy's bike

And here it is. My new training bike...

This beauty (Diamant Mens Bicycle) was bought in the 1960's by my father for 1.50 DM (Deutsch Mark) from the local pawn broker. I picked it up from Germany knowing that it was no longer needed there. Upon seeing his bike being put to better use again my father reminisced how he got the bike: "one fine day I went to find a bike which would take me to work every day. I bought this bike from the pawnbroker for 1.50 DM. Not knowing where the bike came from I was very afraid that the previous owner may see me on his bike, possibly beating me up for having stolen it. To avoid such a predicament I made sure that whenever I went out on the bike I had the receipt from the pawnshop in my jacket. After a couple of months, the note being washed a few times, I threw it away knowing that nobody I've not encountered so far is going to make a claim."

He was obviously very unhappy that I took it apart completely for transport and throwing away the mudguards, lights, front tyre brakes etc. After taking "unnecessary" parts off I fixed new inner tubes and took the bike for a 20 Km ride around the country side. The bike rolled well but the saddle, missing a few springs, was very uncomfortable and I had some difficulty walking after the ride... However, I still overtook a couple of Sunday riders that day on their high-end mountain bikes...

Back in London I replaced the old saddle (with another old one), fixed a new rear sprocket and chain, Brixton Cycles replaced some spokes and fixed the rear wheel as good as possible. I still need to get used to the old breaking system - peddaling backwards - which stops the bike. Its very ineffective and it takes me about 3 car lengths to stop at 20 km/h. In a city like London a little risky but I'll probably get used to it. The steel frame makes the bike comfy to ride and for its age its pretty light-weight. With the rear sprocket replaced for a smaller one (to increase top speed) I really enjoy riding it anywhere! I can now go to town on my bike, locked up securely with 2 D locks. I didn't want to do this with my LEJOG bike having had my racer stolen in November '09.

So, just over 1 week to go!!!
We've had a little planning meeting this Monday with Oli and Jorrin to check what needs doing and organising. Jorrin updated us on sponsors - and we are extremely grateful for those companies and individuals supporting us! To do lists were prepared and our last training ride day was set. Our final training ride is on Saturday, where we will go from Richmond to Boxhill or just into Surrey doing some 50 miles or so. I feel extremely unprepared not having done all the training rides the rest of the team was able to do. Well, I've bought enough pain killers and will just try to do as much training in this last week as possible. I'll probably get fit on the ride... thats my hope at least...

over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment