Saturday 9 May 2009

My First Week in Japan

I have arrived in Japan, without my bike at first, but then a day later I was reunited (picture right). I travelled from Tokyo\ Narita Airport to Noda, some 75 km away. On the first day of cycling it rained pretty bad and my so called "water-proof" clothing gave up after about 3 hours in the rain. I had printed my map using Google which would have been a good idea, if I was able to read Japanese or Japanese road signs. You can imagine what followed. I got lost pretty bad in some rice paddies (as seen from the aeroplane, picture left) which seemed to stretch from one part of the horizon to the next. I used my newly acquired compass to, at least, get the directions right. Considering that I have never had to use a compass, I did pretty well. In the rice paddies, I also managed to go through a big puddle which instantly deflated my rear tyre, already struggling to stay alive with the 30 Kg on top. I managed to push the bike to the nearest habitation where I spotted a woman with her son. I asked whether I could stay to fix my bike. She was very kind and also spoke some English. She immediately cleared their garage for me so I can get the bike fixed without getting wet... A nice gesture considering I was already soaked. The nice lady made me some Japanese tea and brought some cream buns. This was soo good and it definitely kept my spirit going. Back on the bike I managed to cycle another 2 hours to make camp in a forest near the route 16. It was getting pretty dark so I had to hurry. Good for me that I never tried out how to pitch the tent... Some 20 minutes later I was sitting inside the tent and got the camping stove going. The next day I cycled to Noda where I found a nice spot for the tent in a Buddhist temple park (picture above; see the temple in the picture below on the left). This is gonna be my home for this week as I am attending training classes here at the Bujinkan Hombu Dojo every day. See a statue for worship in the picture at the bottom and a Buddhist shrine on the right; both spotted in the area. My financial plan is to live off YEN 4000 (ca. £ 27) a day, considering that the training will cost me quite a bit, too. The upside of camping in the middle of town is that everywhere I need to go is not far. In the morning I get some water for my tea and do some stretches and exercise. This is followed by a 20 minutes meditation under the temple pagoda. Then I make proper breakfast before heading to training. I shave in the local library, making it look as the most normal thing for a gajin (foreigner). Any other washing is done at night in the temple - where they get the water for the plants... brrrr. All other bodily functions are being attended to in the local library oterai or well... wherever. I am very impressed that my tent in the park has not roused any suspicions. I feel so very safe here that I would leave all my belongings on display without really worring about them. I am not going to do it, but this is how safe Japan feels to me. All people are overly friendly and its pretty simple to get by using only the most basic Japanese. On Monday I will continue with my journey going to the West - with the Sea of Japan firmly in my sight... after about a week. I will have to stick to main roads as I really don't want to get lost too much. If you look on a map, it's all mountains. I will follow the Route 16, 17, 18 top get to the sea. All smaller routes are too tricky as I can't make out the road signs... over and out for now and all the best to you out there!





My Preperation and Arrival: (messages from twitter);

"the food is, well interesting, without the help of a young Japanese I would have probably not received a no-meat, no-fish noodle soup ;)"

"just checked in in a nearby hotel, went to the local temple - a supersized and beautiful Buddhist complex where I attended a procession"

"so, having arrived in Tokyo safely I was informed by a friendly Japanese BA staff that my bike will come shortly - tomorrow..."

"Is it gonna fit, is it not, no, arghh it doesn't. Bike box too big for supersized luggage check in....hmm, ok they'll carry it to the plane"

"Rider weight: 80Kg, bike: 15Kg, luggage: 33Kg, total tevelling weight: 128Kg before dinner..."

"Less than 24h to go! Just printing off my route from naria airport to noda, some 50 miles"

"so, after a long day getting bike equipment together and fixing it - it is done, all gear is together. ready steady go!"

"Ok, this is pretty cool, I can now update u through my mobile phone; thank you technology gods.

"I am currently getting ready to start my 1000 Miles challenge: 1000 Miles through Japan on my bike."

1 comment:

  1. Video diary? Nice update though - looks like the adventure has begun in earnest. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete