Thursday 16 April 2009

Biking & Camping

Why biking? It's a green and enjoyable mode of transport, which allows for close encounters with the environment and people. It is also my favourite leisure time activity, which I enjoy alone and with friends going places and enjoying what the British countryside has to offer. So far I have never done such an extended bike trip and I have never camped for such an extended period of time. The longest outdoor experience was in 1999 when a friend and I went to Scotland to camp rough for 3 weeks. This was a tremendous experience and we had such great fun travelling independently, getting food from the fields, trees & bushes, supermarkets…But this was done using a car which was a very comfortable way to travel as we could take as much stuff we needed to be comfortable.

This journey is different. I need to be very specific and only take the most necessary items. It will require me to stay within me luggage restrictions on my bike, around 60 – 70 litres (30 – 40kg). Within these limits I need to take equipment to keep me safe from the sometimes hostile environments of the Japanese mountains (at around 3000m), functional clothing, bike equipment, foodstuffs, and gifts (small they may be but essential for travelling in Japan).

No comments:

Post a Comment