Tuesday 16 June 2009

1100 Miles Challenge - tick

It has been accomplished! 6 weeks in Japan have come to an end, 1100 miles (1800 Km) are cycled. It has not just been a bicycle tour but also a spiritual journey through a land where a large proportion actively worships the myriads of gods and goddesses. The sheer amount of temples and shrines are good reminders to stop for a quick prayer, pick up some `holy` water or protective stickers for your car to enhance safe driving.


I somehow feel connected now to a land which is so full of contrasts, where ancient temples stand next to skyscrapers competing for height. The experiences and memories from this journey will stay with and nourish me for a long time to come.

Most astonishing customs and ingrained behaviour patterns have definitely left an unforgettable impression on my soul. The politeness, seriousness at work, customer service generally...make this land a role model for many `Western` countries where we had to invent words such as `service desert` and regularly get annoyed at things not working or being in a state of constant chaos and in deep disagreement with `how things ought to be.` Of course there were also things that I observed in Japan which really went on my nerves such as the absolute disrespect for cyclists displayed by some lorry drivers, people leaving their cars on whilst going shopping at kombini`s (corner shops), inadequate cycling paths on potentially dangerous sections of roads. However, nothing is perfect and considering all the up`s then these things really didn`t spoil the soup.


Overall, I was able to experience first hand how open hearted, hospitable, kind and generous the people are that I have met. In the blog I really only mentioned some of the things that happened to me and left out a multitude of experiences which have made this 1000 Miles Challenge a 1100 Miles Pleasure. Whilst being physically draining and needing urgent service (both, bike and me), I now have a very clear image and feeling of how I want to continue living my life. Of course, many things were set before I came to Japan because I have been intending them, but, new attention has been given to different aspects of my life ranging from perfect health to financial prosperity over to healthy and happy relationships. The one book I took with me, The Law of Attraction (The Secret behind the Secret), has been an inspiration throughout the journey. I actually read it twice, just to make sure the key lessons will stay with me.

Some of the most memorable events of my visit to Japan were:
  • Sitting in the bathtub together with some tattooed Yakuza (Asama Onsen in Matsumoto),
  • The unforgettable scent, atmosphere and uphill struggle of Route 360 (Takayama to Toyama),
  • Sitting by the river and having sushi with Minoru-san & my first crystal bowl concert with Ikuko-san (Kanazawa),
  • Campfire and grilling fresh fish with Yoshiaki and Nishiyama (Noto, Wajima),
  • Racing along the scenic coastline on the R8 (from Toyama to Joetsu),
  • Being in solitude and at peace, and of course intuitively finding a new camp spot every other day...

What`s next! Well, I am intending to write a book connecting the lifestyle and stories of Samurai, their Budo, during the Edo Period (1603 - 1868) whilst cycling through some of the important parts of Japan in the present.


I will also make a short film of the hours of video which I shot here using my small camera. This should be an entertaining `Cycling in Japan` home movie... so, watch this space! thanks again to all the supporters of this adventure! Together we have raised over £1000 which will be used to start the Seed Money Challenge Fund supporting young entrepreneurs. There will be another 1000 Miles Challenge in May 2010 from Landsend (Cornwall, UK) to John O'Groats (Scotland). If you are interested in joining let me know...


Kyotse kete and
domo arigato gozaimashita,

dirk

No comments:

Post a Comment