Tuesday 4 September 2018

Biggest Typhoon hits Japan...and travel prep

One of the biggest Typhoons in nearly 30 years has hit Japan's Southern and Central parts. And it hit it hard with almost 10 people deal and over 150 injured.


The storm was brewing in the Philippine Sea and then made its way North, hitting Osaka and Kyoto, albeit much weaker as it travelled over land.


I have mixed feelings leaving tomorrow for Japan, especially as they had to shut down Kensei airport, due to flooding or it seems it got completely demolished by Typhoon "Jebi". 


Such is the power of nature. We are at mother nature's peril when it comes to the big things like earthquakes, typhoons, hurricanes and all other natural disasters. I've been contemplating small disasters that could strike me when travelling across Hokkaido. The most feared one for me is a traffic accident, followed closely by an encounter with a wild brown bear. 

You can never really prepare for bike accidents other than doing what you can to be seen. I've got 4 sets of lights, two on the bike and two on the helmet. Japanese roads are generally really busy and my trip in 2009 had a few scary encounters with crazy drivers who needed to overtake me no matter what, almost brushing against my rear rack/ panniers. 

Some of my initial research now on getting in contact with a bear:
  1. Stay calm, never surprise a bear, leave the bear exit routes
  2. Make noise (if its a brown bear) + wave arms to be bigger
  3. If the bear charges towards you, defend yourself by waving sticks/ stuff
  4. If it's already attacking you, play dead, ideally with the backpack on (spread legs so he can't turn you)
  5. Never leave food inside a tent, not even a chocolate bar. bears have great sense of smell




So, tomorrow is lift-off. Japan, here we come. Bags are packed, bike is packed and somewhat safe, hoping it'll make it to Japan with me! Until then




No comments:

Post a Comment