Friday 7 September 2018

Have a plan, have no plan, change of plan...

With Hokkaido in turmoil, I had to figure out what to do next. When I checked in the early morning, the bullet train wasn't running all the way to Hakodate (Hokkaido) yet. So, after quickly bumping into my landlord at 6am, just before he went back to Tokyo, I went back to bed. An go my gosh, did I go back to bed and sleep - another 7h, bringing the total hours spent in bed to 14h! ...that really felt like I needed it - my body needed it especially since I worked lots during the last 8 months, pretty much Monday to Saturday every week, to afford going to Japan for longer than usual.

After waking up, I had breakfast (toast, avocado and egg), got my training gear together, faffed around a bit looking at which room I'm going to occupy from tomorrow as there were 8 empty rooms to choose from, with one having an actual bed as opposed to just a futon. Not that I don't like a futon but knowing that I am going to spend the next 3 - 4 weeks on the ground in my tent, I didn't mind the luxury. I left the house at 4, just enough time to go back to the Kashiwa (nearest big town with some 400,000 inhabitants) and get a coffee before heading off to training.

My other big activity in Japan is always martial arts training, I've been here now the 8th time to train what can be described as old Japanese Martial arts (ko budo), a system of armed and unarmed combat. It's been a steady companion in my life since 1998 and its been one of the most important and impactful things I got involved in. Whilst life is a series of ups and downs, training martial arts has provided much needed balance and stability, often literally. Since arriving in London in 2001 and finding a class to continue my training, I can only say that martial arts practice can offer an alternative way of looking at reality, providing different insights into how we behave as human beings. Human beings have been at war with each other ever since and being able to defend yourself and those close to you felt like something I wanted to be able to do, as and when needed. Whilst London is relatively safe, there are more and more occurrences of violence, especially among younger people, but the chance of getting caught up in a sticky situation remains, no matter what age. Being able to deal with such a situation requires training and practice.

34th Soke (Grandmaster) Dr Masaaki Hatsumi...the one sporting purple hair!
It's always a great opportunity to learn from people here in Japan, many of whom have studied martial arts for 20, 40, 60 years. At the same time, and after spending more than half my life practicing, the people I meet and continue to meet have become more than just training partners, they've become (martial) friends and family. Especially in London, the connection and the friendship among people I train with meant having a completely new circle of friends, which sometimes also developed into work relationships or became really solid friendships. Something I really value.

So, arriving in the dojo and getting changed, I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw one of my training buddies here from London. We chitchatted about his experience so far before training started. Afterwards I showed him my favourite Ramen place in Kashiwa. Sadly, he ordered a spicy Ramen, which seemed to have been too much to handle. I finally remembered my usual statement about not putting meat into my Ramen and really enjoyed this hearty food juts after training

the surprise was big on both sides. Welcome to my favourite Ramen place Derrick
After food, there was not much else to do but to head home and to go shopping. I've bought the usual, a bit of breakfasts stuff, some green tea and avocado. Just as I was about to pay, IO noticed the guy in front of me putting a little sign on his beer, which I could only assume meant "please don't give me a plastic bag", a sad issue you're confronted with everywhere - plastic, plastic bags, plastic containers, plastic packing. This was new and I had to try it out. Wow, what a relief not to have to explain that I didn't want a plastic bag or my stuff put into one. She did still try to wrap my avocado into a really small one but I protested - successfully. 
that little sign did the trick, no more explanations about not wanting a bag
The final thing to do was to decide 'the plan' going forward. I'll be heading back to Kashiwa to book my train to Hokkaido for Monday, the bullet train is back online and as I'll be avoiding the epicentre of the quake for at least 2 weeks, I think I'll be fine. Hokkaido is pretty big and my route going round the island clockwise should make things be ok. It'll still be strange to go to a place that's just been struck by disaster, despite people getting back on their feet. I don't want to feel like a disaster tourist. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment